How to make psyllium husk powder and other dietary fibers taste better.
One of the biggest complaints against fiber supplements is that they don’t taste great if not pretty awful. There are a few supplement manufacturers that try to counteract the taste by adding all kinds of flavorings to the fiber. The best example of this is Metamucil which is just as well known for its orange container as for the orange flavoring in the fiber.
However, don’t despair because you’re not forced to keep drinking unappetizing fiber powder with straight water. There are many things you can do to perk up your fiber so that you can still get all the health benefits that fiber offers without upsetting your taste buds. Fiber is often mixed with smoothies or things like yogurt and cereal to take the edge off.
Below is a list of some of the most common ways that people use to make their fiber a little more palatable. It is important that you choose one that works for you, that fits with your lifestyle and current diet, so that it is easier to form the habit of taking fiber and you don’t stop taking fiber just because the habit of eating yogurt for breakfast or regularly making a smoothie becomes too much of a chore.
So what can you mix with your fiber?
- Well before you start adding things to your fiber, it might be worth your while to looks at other supplements that have flavors that sound appealing like Metamucil Meta Pink Lemonade or Berry.
- As alluded to above, one of the most common ways of sprucing up your fiber is by mixing it in with a smoothie. Adding fiber powder is not that difficult once you are already downing a mix of green juice each morning.
- If you don’t mind some of the calories that manufacturers add to their drink mixes, this is another great way to go. If you do go this route however it is important to make sure that you choose a drink mix that is healthy, does not contain a ton of added sugar, as this will negate the benefits fiber provides for you. My recommendation would be to use something like Torani Syrups with Splenda as it does not contain any calories and uses natural flavorings to get the taste.
- If you are less concerned with the health benefits of the drink mix that you are adding (it is just a little of it after all) you might be tempted to mix your fiber with a simple powdered drink such as Crystal Light. You should remember to add additional water to a mix such as this and stir it very well to ensure that the drink mix does not compromise the ratio of water needed for your fiber to be effective. It is recommended that you follow up any fiber supplement with another 8-ounce glass of water and increase that amount if you are adding powdered drink mix.
- Dietary fiber is often used in gluten-free baking recipes and this is another way to get your dose of fiber through something that you might already be making. Do a little research and you will see that there are many great recipes online that explain how to use fiber powder in baking.
- A simple idea is to mix your dietary fiber with yogurt, and if you are like me and you have granola, yogurt, and fruit for breakfast every day, this will be a quick and easy follow-through. It does mean however that you should eat it quickly so that the fiber does not change the texture of your breakfast and put you off this healthy morning routine forever.
- Want to be extra healthy? Why not mix your fiber powder with a packet of EmergenC or equivalent!
- Or you can keep it simple and just add a splash of honey and gulp it all down.
But what if I don’t want to mix these weird and wonderful things with my dietary fiber?
Well, you are in luck because you have some more options. If you prefer capsules, you can take the tablet version of most major brands of dietary fiber such as Herbal Secrets or Metamucil, and you can also feel like a kid again with fiber gummies such as Vitafusion Well Fit Gummies.
Do not despair if you hate taking fiber because of the taste. There are many options for you to make your dietary fiber supplement taste better and (dare I say it) even pleasant to drink. What do you mix your fiber with to make it delicious (or at least palatable)?